qemacs-devel

Re: dired help and development status

From: Charlie Gordon
Subject: Re: dired help and development status
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 16:31:51 +0200

Hello Piscium,

> On 2 Aug 2022, at 15:27, Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I could not find an users mailing list so I will ask here.

This is the right place to ask questions.

> In dired I can navigate the tree and see a preview of the file on the right
> pane.
> How can I edit the file whose preview I see? I tried some of the ways
> this works in emacs without success.

In dired the right pane is in “preview” mode: the right arrow or the enter key
make it current and cursor movement keys cause scrolling instead of moving
point.
A buffer loaded and displayed in preview mode is transient: it is deleted
automatically when another file is displayed in the preview pane.
You can exit preview mode by typing ^G or Enter inside the preview pane.

I am unaware of a similar feature in emacs… Did I miss something?

> On another subject, I got a bunch of compiler warnings when building
> qemacs and while using dired qemacs hang. The last change in this repo
> (nongnu.org) was in 2020. I wonder if development has stopped or if it
> has moved to some other repo? I found a bunch of qemacs clones in
> github but none that seems the successor to this one.

I just migrated the official repository to github:
https://github.com/qemacs/qemacs

Try compiling the latest version and if you still get warnings, tell me the
compiler version so I can fix them.

There are still some bugs in this program, most notably qemacs does not detect
that a file has been changed on disk since it was last loaded.
I use it every day for most of my work, feel free to give me feedback on
annoyances and feature requests.

Best regards

Chqrlie.