qemacs-devel

Re: Key bindings

From: Charlie Gordon
Subject: Re: Key bindings
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 01:21:21 +0200

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am using a Mac too, but I run qemacs in iTerm2, which I recommend as a terminal application on macOS.

The escape sequences for Home and End were bogus, I fixed them and added support for the Control, Shift and Alt prefixes for the cursor movement keys.

Let me know if is works fine on your system

Regarding F1, the terminal indeed sends ESC O P, which is recognised as the key `f1` and bound to the command help-for-help, which is somewhat different from the emacs binding where `f1` is a prefix key equivalent to C-h.

It is surprising that `f1` seems to invoke goto-tag, which is bound to `C-x ,` and `M-f1` which for some
obscure reason is not produced by the keyboard when hitting Alt Fn F1, but can be obtained with ESC F1.

The key decoding has been substantially improved and unrecognised sequences are reported.

You can also use C-h d to invoke toggle-trace-mode that displays the *trace* buffer with information
about the bytes received from the terminal, the key conversions, the commands invoked, the bytes
sent to the shell process and the escape sequences received from the process.  This is quite useful
to debug keyboard and VT100 emulation issues.

Best regard

Chqrlie