qemu-arm

Re: No ARM_FEATURE_PMU for cortex-a9

From: Timofey Kutergin
Subject: Re: No ARM_FEATURE_PMU for cortex-a9
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 17:26:28 +0300

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 4:10 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 at 13:23, Timofey Kutergin <tkutergin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day dear Qemu ARM developers :)
>
> Could you please clarify if there any specific reason to not have ARM_FEATURE_PMU option set for cortex-a9 CPU ? According to cortex-a9 specification it does have PMU...

I don't know, but my guess is because the A9 doesn't implement the
PMUv2, but an older PMU version, and we didn't care enough to
implement whatever the differences between PMUv2 and the A9's
PMU are.

QEMU's PMU emulation is very rudimentary anyway, so it's not a big
deal that the A9 model doesn't have it.

thanks
-- PMM