qemu-block

Re: [RFC v1] util/aio: Keep notification disabled as much as possible

From: Chao Gao
Subject: Re: [RFC v1] util/aio: Keep notification disabled as much as possible
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 22:12:14 +0800

On Wed, Jul 06, 2022 at 12:59:29PM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 01, 2022 at 05:13:48PM +0800, Chao Gao wrote:
>> When measuring FIO read performance (cache=writethrough, bs=4k, iodepth=64)
>> in
>> VMs, we observe ~80K/s notifications (e.g., EPT_MISCONFIG) from guest to
>> qemu.
>
>It's not clear to me what caused the frequent poll_set_started(ctx,
>false) calls and whether this patch is correct. I have posted some

Me either. That's why the patch was marked RFC.

>questions below about the nature of this issue.
>
>If ctx->fdmon_ops->wait() is called while polling is still enabled then
>hangs or unnecessary latency can occur. For example, consider an fd
>handler that temporarily suppresses fd activity between poll start/end.
>The thread would be blocked in ->wait() and the fd will never become
>readable. Even if a hang doesn't occur because there is a timeout, there
>would be extra latency because the fd doesn't become readable and we
>have to wait for the timeout to expire so we can poll again. So we must
>be sure it's safe to leave polling enabled across the event loop and I'm
>not sure if this patch is okay.

Thanks for the explanation.

in aio_poll(),

    if (timeout || ctx->fdmon_ops->need_wait(ctx)) {
        ctx->fdmon_ops->wait(ctx, &ready_list, timeout);
    }

if @timeout is zero, then ctx->fdmon_ops->wait() won't be called.

In case #2 and #3 below, it is guaranteed that @timeout is zero after
try_poll_mode() return. So, I think it is safe to keep polling enabled
for these two cases.

>> Currently, poll_set_started(ctx,false) is called in try_poll_mode() to enable
>> virtqueue notification in below 4 cases:
>>
>> 1. ctx->poll_ns is 0
>> 2. a zero timeout is passed to try_poll_mode()
>> 3. polling succeeded but reported as no progress
>> 4. polling failed and reported as no progress
>>
>> To minimize unnecessary guest notifications, keep notification disabled when
>> it is possible, i.e., polling is enabled and last polling doesn't fail.
>
>What is the exact definition of polling success/failure?

Polling success: found some events pending.
Polling failure: timeout.

success/failure are used because I saw below comment in
run_poll_handlers_once(), then I thought they are well-known terms.

            /*
             * Polling was successful, exit try_poll_mode immediately
             * to adjust the next polling time.
             */

>> Keep notification disabled for case #2 and #3; handle case #2 simply by a
>> call
>
>Did you see case #2 happening often? What was the cause?

I think so. I can add some tracepoint and collect statistics.

IMO (of course, I can be totally wrong), the cause is:
when a worker thread in thread poll completes an IO request, a bottom
half is queued by work_thread()->qemu_bh_schedule(). Pending bottom
halves lead to aio_compute_timeout() setting timeout to zero and then
a zero timeout is passed to try_poll_mode().

>> of run_poll_handlers_once() and for case #3, differentiate successful/failed
>> polling and skip the call of poll_set_started(ctx,false) for successful ones.
>
>This is probably the most interesting case. When polling detects an
>event, that's considered "progress", except for aio_notify() events.
>aio_notify() is an internal event for restarting the event loop when
>something has changed (e.g. fd handlers have been added/removed). I
>wouldn't expect it to intefere polling frequently since that requires
>another QEMU thread doing something to the AioContext, which should be
>rare.
>
>Was aio_notify() intefering with polling in your case? Do you know why?

Yes. It was. The reason is the same: after finishing IO requests, worker
threads queue bottom halves during which aio_notify() is called.