qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] No archives to download from www.qemu.org/download/

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] No archives to download from www.qemu.org/download/
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 13:53:17 +0200

On 18/07/2019 13.43, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 01:29:02PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
>> On 18/07/2019 12.55, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:

>>> Download QEMU page <https://www.qemu.org/download/>
>>>
>>> In all fairness to Philippe, this page could be better in terms of
>>> human-computer interaction... If one presses 'Download', one
>>> expects to get to the download links directly or obviously easily.
>>
>> I guess we should simply re-arrange the order of the tabs ... the
>> OS-agnostic source code tab should come first (since this is about what
>> we provide for download on our site), and then the others with
>> references to the distros etc.
>
> I'm not sure it is clear cut. I think its reasonable to say that users
> coming to QEMU are best served by using distro provided packages. Only
> those wishing to actually hack on QEMU, or who need newer than the
> distro provides, should prefer the source. Building from source has many
> more potential hurdles / failure points than installing distro packages,
> which can leave users with a worse first experience of QEMU.

Well, yes, but actually I think these users won't visit the QEMU
download page in the first place. They simply do "dnf search qemu" and
then "dnf install ..." (with s/dnf/$package_tool_of_their_distro/) and
are done with it. At least this is what I do when I want to install an
additional software (without compiling it on my own) - I hardly visit
their website first.

 Thomas