qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Sphinx and docs/index.rst: dead code?

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Sphinx and docs/index.rst: dead code?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 12:34:39 -0400

On 7/25/19 5:08 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 at 00:22, John Snow <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Does anything actually use this file? It doesn't appear to be used for
>> generating the HTML manuals.
>
> It's there for if you want to do a "build all the manuals into
> a single document" -- see the comments at the top of docs/conf.py.
> Basically this is there because for QEMU's own purposes we want
> to build several separate manuals (devel, interop, etc) so we
> can install for the user only the ones that are user-facing
> (ie "not devel"). But it seemed to me at the time to be worth
> also supporting the "build a full thing" for the benefit of
> sites like readthedocs. Currently the only way to use it is
> if you hand-run an appropriate sphinx-build command.

Yup; I think a single point of entry would be nice -- I think we need to
start hosting our sphinx documentation because it's confusing that we
have both the traditional manual (hosted by Stefan Weil) and this newer
one that isn't available anywhere.

The interop manual in particular is crucial to get hosted.

> (The fact that we will need to do some running of other
> commands to autogenerate .rst input from .hx files might mean
> that it's not really possible to support this sort of "third party
> site" docs setup in the end; but for the moment we retain the
> option to do this.)

OK, sure -- just wasn't sure if the feature was coming or going. I'll
consider it "coming" then.

We could perhaps formalize this as follows:

- index.rst, which is an "absolutely everything included" single point
of entry manual for developers and contributors,

- user.rst, which could be a single point of entry for end users, to be
bundled in distro packaging.

Then we can build either a single-target dev manual, a single-target
user manual, or any of the individual component manuals. I'm not sure
which should be the default, though.

> Doing a top-level build will also complain about a couple
> random .rst files in docs/ not being in the toc tree --
> we need to fix this at some point anyway by putting that
> documentation into its proper place in the manual set.
>
>> It looks like we might use it for latex, man and texinfo output from
>> sphinx judging by docs/conf.py, but I don't think we actually use sphinx
>> to generate such output, so I think this is all dead code.
>
> We will generate the manpage output in the same way we do
> HTML, by invoking sphinx-build on the different manual
> directories -- nothing in-tree does this today but this
> patch:
> https://patchew.org/QEMU/address@hidden/
> does the conversion of the qemu-ga docs/manpage and should
> be ready to go in once 4.1 is out the door.
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Nice!

Thanks for the info.