qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 05/18] vfio/pci: add pasid alloc/free implement

From: Liu, Yi L
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 05/18] vfio/pci: add pasid alloc/free implementation
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 05:18:28 +0000

Hi Eric,

yes, this is the rough idea.

> I think we need to be clear about how both abstractions (SVMContext and
> IOMMUMemoryRegion) differ. I would also need "SVMContext" abstraction for
> 2stage SMMU integration (to notify stage 1 config changes and MSI
> bindings) so I would need this new object to be not too much tied to SVM use
> case.

I agree. SVMContext is just a proposed name. We may have better naming for it
as long as the thing we want to have is a new abstract layer between VFIO and
vIOMMU. Per my understanding, the IOMMUMemoryRegion abstraction is for
the notifications around guest memory changes. e.g. VFIO needs to be notified
when there is MAP/UNMAP happened. However, for the SVMContext, it aims to
be an abstraction for SVM/PASID related operations, which has no direct
relationship with memory. e.g. for VT-d, pasid allocation, pasid bind/unbind,
pasid based-iotlb flush. I think pasid bind/unbind and pasid based-iotlb flush
is
equivalent with the stage 1 config changes in SMMU. If you agree to use it
all the same, how about naming it as IOMMUConext? Also, pls feel free to
propose your suggestion. :-)

Thanks,
Yi Liu

changes.