qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 19/19] fuzz: Add documentation about the fuzzer to

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 19/19] fuzz: Add documentation about the fuzzer to docs/
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 14:19:51 +0100

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 03:24:00AM +0000, Oleinik, Alexander wrote:
> +== Main Modifications required for Fuzzing ==
> +
> +Fuzzing is enabled with the -enable-fuzzing flag, which adds the needed
> cflags
> +to enable Libfuzzer and AddressSanitizer. In the code, most of the changes to
> +existing qemu source are surrounded by #ifdef CONFIG_FUZZ statements. Here
> are
> +the key areas that are changed:
> +
> +=== General Changes ===

The audience of this file are people wishing to run existing fuzz tests
and/or add new fuzz tests.  Changes are of limited use to someone who
wants to write fuzz tests but isn't familiar with QEMU internals.

Instead I suggest documenting fuzzing in terms of:

1. How to run existing fuzz tests.
2. How to add new fuzz tests.
3. Advice on achieving good code coverage and explanation of the fuzz
   test development cycle.

Focus less on the fuzz infrastructure internals and more on how to use
fuzzing.