qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] When to use qemu/typedefs.h

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] When to use qemu/typedefs.h
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 11:45:41 +0100

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 09:40, Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:
> IMHO we should get rid of mandating typedefs. They are causing too much
> trouble - e.g. do you also remember the issues with duplicated typedefs
> in certain compiler versions in the past? (these should be hopefully
> gone now, but still...)
>
> And many QEMU developers are also working on the Linux kernel, which
> rather forbids typedefs. Having to switch your mind back and forth
> whether to use typedefs or not is really annoying.

I would rather keep typedefs -- it's one of the style issues we're
reasonably consistent with. QEMU isn't the kernel, and its style
is not the same on many points. If we switch to "use 'struct Foo'"
we'll have a codebase which becomes rapidly very inconsistent
about whether we use 'struct' or not.

thanks
-- PMM