qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] virtio-mmio: implement modern (v2) personality (v

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] virtio-mmio: implement modern (v2) personality (virtio-1)
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 10:20:17 +0100

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 01:26, Laszlo Ersek <address@hidden> wrote:
> But it's extra work, not entirely risk-free (regressions), and I can't
> tell if someone out there still uses virtio-mmio (despite me thinking
> that would be unreasonable). I wouldn't like to see more work sunk into
> it either way :)

The main reasons I still see people using virtio-mmio for
the 'virt' board are:
 * still using old but working command lines
 * newer setups that were put together working from older tutorials
   that recommended virtio-mmio because they predated virtio-pci
   support being widespread
 * using older (eg distro) kernels -- for 32-bit kernels in
   particular it was a while before the virtio-pci support
   got built in the default configs I think, and then longer
   again until those got into stable distro releases

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those applied also to
via-OVMF boot setups as well as direct kernel boot. So it
depends a bit what your tolerance for breaking existing
user setups is.

thanks
-- PMM