qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-ga -- virtio driver version reporting

From: Tomáš Golembiovský
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-ga -- virtio driver version reporting
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 15:15:10 +0200

Hi,

I would like to add version reporting of Windows virtio drivers to qemu-ga.
Obviously this is specific to Windows as for POSIX systems it corelates with
the version of kernel. I would appreciate your ideas on a few topics.

Does it make sense to add this information as new (optonal) field to result of
'guest-get-osinfo'. Or would it be better to add whole new command? I expect
the result to look something like this:

    "component-versions": [
        {
            "name": "VirtIO Balloon Driver",
            "version": "03/10/2019,62.77.104.16900"
        },
        {
            "name": "QEMU PVPanic Device",
            "version": "06/11/2018,62.76.104.15400"
        },
    ]

Alternatively we could report all available versions of the specific
driver instead of just the latest. Note that this does not say much
about which version is in use or if a device is available in the
system.

I have checked the available drivers and the names quite vary. I guess we'll
need to list and match the complete name and not just some substring (like
"VirtIO"). See the following list:

    QEMU FWCfg Device
    QEMU PVPanic Device
    QEMU Serial PCI Card
    Red Hat Q35 SM Bus driver
    Red Hat QXL controller
    Red Hat VirtIO Ethernet Adapter
    Red Hat VirtIO SCSI controller
    Red Hat VirtIO SCSI controller
    Red Hat VirtIO SCSI pass-through controller
    VirtIO Balloon Driver
    VirtIO Input Driver
    VirtIO RNG Device
    VirtIO Serial Driver
    VirtIO-Serial Driver

Is it OK to hardcode the list in qemu-ga source? Is there already any support
for dealing with regexes or tries in qemu source tree?

Any other ideas, concerns?

    Tomas

--
Tomáš Golembiovský <address@hidden>