qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Does i386-linux-user build on an i686 host?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Does i386-linux-user build on an i686 host?
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 15:10:21 +0100

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 13:49, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> Easy fix: uninstall oss4-dev.
>
> Better fix: patch QEMU to provide its own versions of these constants
> if the system headers don't.
>
> Utopian fix: I've wondered occasionally whether for cases like this
> where the constant is known to be the same for the host and the guest
> we should have some sort of approach which lets us use the QEMU
> copies of the linux kernel headers rather than having to rely on
> the host system, which might have an older version that restricts
> us unnecessarily on what we could support...

I missed out this other option:

Make The World A Better Place fix:

Report bug and/or provide patch to the oss4-dev headers to
augment them to provide all the ioctl numbers and other
constants that the kernel's version does, so they really
are interoperable with the header they're diverting.

thanks
-- PMM