qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Machine specific option ROMs

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Machine specific option ROMs
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 08:15:45 +0200

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 02:38:09AM +0200, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know about the possibility to set the option ROM of a PCIDevice with the
> romfile property (that we can set on command line or in a device's init
> method) but is there a way to set it depending on the machine that uses the
> device? If this is not currently possible what would be needed to allow
> this?

Should work with compat properties.  That is a list of device, property
and value which a specific machine type should use.  Typically they are
used to make versioned machine types behave simliar to older qemu
versions (this is where the name comes from).  Using them to use
non-default properties on ppc platform should work too.

For example in qemu 1.5 the nic roms got EFI support and there is a
compat property which switches the pc-i440fx-1.4 (and older) machine
types to the non-efi versions.  Grep for pxe-e1000.rom to find the code.

HTH,
  Gerd