qemu-devel

Re: Thoughts on VM fence infrastructure

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: Thoughts on VM fence infrastructure
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 09:23:45 +0100

* Felipe Franciosi (address@hidden) wrote:

> >> Ah, that's a very good point. Indeed, you can perform IO in those
> >> cases specially when using vhost devices.

> >> Got you now. That's probably better. Do you reckon a signal is
> >> preferable over SIGEV_THREAD?
> >
> > Not sure; probably the safest is getting the kernel to SIGKILL it - but
> > that's a complete nightmare to debug - your process just goes *pop*
> > with no apparent reason why.
> > I've not used SIGEV_THREAD - it looks promising though.
>
> I'm worried that SIGEV_THREAD could be a bit heavyweight (if it fires
> up a new thread each time). On the other hand, as you said, SIGKILL
> makes it harder to debug.
>
> Also, asking the kernel to defer the SIGKILL (ie. updating the timer)
> needs to come from Qemu itself (eg. a timer in the main loop,
> something we already ruled unsuitable, or a qmp command which
> constitutes an external dependency that we also ruled undesirable).

OK, there's two reasons I think this isn't that bad/is good:
   a) It's an external dependency - but if it fails the result is the
      system fails, rather than the system keeps on running; so I think
      that's the balance you were after; it's the opposite from
      the external watchdog.

   b) You need some external system anyway to tell QEMU when it's
      OK - what's your definitino of a failed system?

> What if, when self-fencing is enabled, Qemu kicks off a new thread
> from the start which does nothing but periodically wake up, verify the
> heartbeat condition and log()+abort() if required? (Then we wouldn't
> need the kernel timer.)

I'd make that thread bump the kernel timer along.

> >> I'm still wondering how to make this customisable so that different
> >> types of heartbeat could be implemented (preferably without creating
> >> external dependencies per discussion above). Thoughts welcome.
> >
> > Yes, you need something to enable it, and some safe way to retrigger
> > the timer.  A qmp command marked as 'oob' might be the right way -
> > another qm command can't block it.
>
> This qmp approach is slightly different than the external dependency
> that itself kills Qemu; if it doesn't run, then Qemu dies because the
> kernel timer is not updated. But this is also a heavyweight approach.
> We are talking about a service that needs to frequently connect to all
> running VMs on a host to reset the timer.
>
> But it does allow for the customisable heartbeat: the logic behind
> what triggers the command is completely flexible.
>
> Thinking about this idea of a separate Qemu thread, one thing that
> came to mind is this:
>
> qemu -fence heartbeat=/path/to/file,deadline=60[,recheck=5]
>
> Qemu could fire up a thread that stat()s <file> (every <recheck>
> seconds or on a default interval) and log()+abort() the whole process
> if the last modification time of the file is older than <deadline>. If
> <file> goes away (ie. stat() gives ENOENT), then it either fences
> immediately or ignores it, not sure which is more sensible.
>
> Thoughts?

As above; I'm OK with using a file with that; but I'd make that thread
bump the kernel timer along; if that thread gets stuck somehow the
kernel still nukes your process.

Dave