qemu-devel

Re: Skip LinuxInitrd.test_with_2gib_file_should_exit_error_msg_with_linu

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Skip LinuxInitrd.test_with_2gib_file_should_exit_error_msg_with_linux_v3_6 on 32-bit hosts?
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 09:33:38 +0100

Re-adding qemu-devel since it seems to have been Bcc'd.

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 03:29:06PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> When I run make check-acceptance in a 32-bit (i686) container, this
> test fails, because it tries to start a guest with 4G of RAM, which
> can't fit in the userspace address space on a 32-bit host, obviously.
>
>  (16/44)
> /home/dwg/src/qemu/tests/acceptance/linux_initrd.py:LinuxInitrd.test_with_2gib_file_should_exit_error_msg_with_linux_v3_6:
>  FAIL: Regex didn't match: '.*initrd is too large.*max: \\d+, need
> 2147483648.*' not found in 'qemu-system-x86_64: -m 4096: ram size too
> large\n' (0.12 s)
>
> Should we simply skip this test on 32-bit hosts?

There's a thread right now asking if we should drop support for 32-bit
hosts entirely

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-09/msg06168.html

I'm curious why you were testing with 32-bit host ? Do you have some
use case that needs it, or was this just responding to some user bug
report

As long as we do support 32-bit hosts though, this test definitely needs
fixing. It is attempting to boot with a 2 GB initrd, so I guess RAM
needs to be big enough to fit that & boot the guest OS image. Possibly
it might still work in 2.5-3.0 GB of RAM in guest if that's sufficiently
small for 32-bit host testing. If not, then skipping seems reasonable,
as no one will ever use such huge initrds on 32-bit hosts in real world.

Regards,
Daniel