qemu-devel

Re: [RFC net-next 07/18] tun: set offloaded xdp program

From: Prashant Bhole
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 07/18] tun: set offloaded xdp program
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 09:24:34 +0900

On 12/2/19 11:47 AM, Jason Wang wrote:

From: Jason Wang <address@hidden>

This patch introduces an ioctl way to set an offloaded XDP program
to tun driver. This ioctl will be used by qemu to offload XDP program
from virtio_net in the guest.

Seems like you need to set / reset the SOCK_XDP flag on tfile->sk since
this is an XDP program.

Also, why not add this program using netlink instead of ioctl? e.g., as
part of a generic XDP in the egress path like I am looking into for the
host side.

Maybe both, otherwise, qemu may need netlink as a dependency.

Thanks

Thank you all for reviewing. We will continue to improve this set.

If we split this work, Tx path XDP is one of the necessary part
which can be developed first. As suggested by David Ahern it will be
a netlink way but we will still need ioctl way for tap. I will try
to come up with Tx path XDP set next time.

Thanks.