qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] Use of the Nacked-by tag by CI scripts

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [RFC] Use of the Nacked-by tag by CI scripts
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 10:36:38 +0100

On 09/12/19 10:28, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
>     If there is a consensus about using this tag, the following patch
>     can be added to Peter's management scripts:
>     https://git.linaro.org/people/pmaydell/misc-scripts.git/
>     <https://git.linaro.org/people/pmaydell/misc-scripts.git/>
>
> I always assumed that pull requests by sub-maintainers should contain
> "ready for merging" code (justified, reviewed, tested, ...). Why would
> ever a sub-maintainer send something that doesn't comply to these
> conditions?

Because things can and do go wrong, perhaps someone was on vacation
while the original patch was posted, perhaps somebody is giving a
negative review outside his maintenance area, perhaps there would be
conflicts with a tree-wide series being discussed elsewhere...  It's
rare and I don't think it would be misused, but I think it's a good idea
to have a machine-readable way to block patches.

However, I'm not sure why the commits would contain a tag.  Instead, we
could use the patchew REST API
(https://patchew.org/api/v1/projects/1/series/MESSAGE-ID/) and search
for nacked-by tags in there.

Paolo