qemu-devel

Re: QEMU VM crashes when enabling KVM

From: Wayne Li
Subject: Re: QEMU VM crashes when enabling KVM
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 19:59:40 -0600

We wrote a project that is created on top of the QEMU source code; it calls functions from the QEMU code.  I run the executable created by compiling that project/QEMU code.  Anyway, looking at the following documentation:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/powerpc/cpu_families.txt

It looks like the PowerPC 7457 is Book3S and the PowerPC e6500 is BookE.  Is that why you think I require a Book3S KVM?  Exactly why do you feel this way?  Also would that mean my team would need to go and buy a board with a Book3S processor?

-Thanks!, Wayne Li

From my understanding

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 7:16 PM Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/12/19 22:23, Wayne Li wrote:

> Now I am fairly sure KVM is actually enabled on the system.  Finding
> that out was another story that spanned a couple of months.  But long
> story short, lsmod doesn't show that the KVM kernel module is running.
> But that's because KVM is built-in and it can't actually be built as a
> loadable kernel module in this particular system.
>
> So I'm not really sure what could be the problem.  Though I was thinking
> if I understood the error better that might help?  Following the code I
> see that the "Missing PVR setting capability." is called when a variable
> called "cap_segstate" is 0:
>
> if (!cap_segstate) {
>             fprintf(stderr, "kvm error: missing PVR setting capability\n");
>             return -ENOSYS;
> }
>
> And the cap_segstate variable is set by the following function:
>
> cap_segstate = kvm_check_extension(s, KVM_CAP_PPC_SEGSTATE);

You are not saying how you are running QEMU.  I think you are using a
CPU model that requires a Book3S KVM.

Paolo