qemu-devel

Re: [REPORT] [GSoC - TCG Continuous Benchmarking] [#2] Dissecting QEMU I

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: [REPORT] [GSoC - TCG Continuous Benchmarking] [#2] Dissecting QEMU Into Three Main Parts
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 10:21:52 +0200

уто, 30. јун 2020. у 09:30 Ahmed Karaman
<ahmedkhaledkaraman@gmail.com> је написао/ла:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 7:59 AM 罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo) <luoyonggang@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Wonderful work, May I reproduce the work on my local machine?
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:26 PM Ahmed Karaman
> > <ahmedkhaledkaraman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The second report of the TCG Continuous Benchmarking series builds
> >> upon the QEMU performance metrics calculated in the previous report.
> >> This report presents a method to dissect the number of instructions
> >> executed by a QEMU invocation into three main phases:
> >> - Code Generation
> >> - JIT Execution
> >> - Helpers Execution
> >> It devises a Python script that automates this process.
> >>
> >> After that, the report presents an experiment for comparing the
> >> output of running the script on 17 different targets. Many conclusions
> >> can be drawn from the results and two of them are discussed in the
> >> analysis section.
> >>
> >> Report link:
> >> https://ahmedkrmn.github.io/TCG-Continuous-Benchmarking/Dissecting-QEMU-Into-Three-Main-Parts/
> >>
> >> Previous reports:
> >> Report 1 - Measuring Basic Performance Metrics of QEMU:
> >> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-06/msg06692.html
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Ahmed Karaman
> >

> > --
> >          此致
> > 礼
> > 罗勇刚
> > Yours
> >     sincerely,
> > Yonggang Luo
>
> Thanks Mr. Yonggang. Yes of course, go ahead.
> Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Yes, Ahmed, you said Mr. Yonggang can go ahaed - but you didn't say how. :)

As far as I know, this is how Ahmed test bed is setup:

1) Fresh installation on Ubuntu 18.04 on an Inter 64-bit host.
2) Install QEMU build prerequisite packages.
3) Install perf (this step is not necessary for Report 2, but it is
for Report 1).
4) Install vallgrind.
5) Install 16 gcc cross-compilers. (which, together with native
comipler, will sum up to the 17 possible QEMU targets)

That is all fine if Mr. Yongang is able to do the above, or if he
already have similar system.

I am fairly convinced that the setup for any Debian-based Linux
distribution will be almost identical as described above

However, let's say Mr.Yongang system is Suse-bases distribution (SUSE
Linux Enterprise, openSUSE Leap, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Gecko). He could
do steps 2), 3), 4) in a fairly similar manner. But, step 5) will be
difficult. I know that support for cross-compilers is relatively poor
for Suse-based distributions. I think Mr. Yongang could run experiment
from the second part of Report 2 only for 5 or 6 targets, rather than
17 as you did.

The bottom line for Report 2:

I think there should be an "Appendix" note on installing
cross-compilers. And some general note on your test bed, as well as
some guideline for all people like Mr. Yongang who wish to repro the
results on their own systems.

Sincerely,
Aleksandar

2)