qemu-devel

Contributing to x86 device emulationi

From: Rohit Shinde
Subject: Contributing to x86 device emulationi
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 21:07:50 -0700

Hello everyone,

I am a software engineer working as an SDE in the industry and I have been wanting to contribute to QEMU. I mailed earlier introducing myself to the mailing list and I was told to talk to specific people who work with the subsystem I want to contribute to.

I am interested in contributing to the following areas of QEMU: KVM, x86 device emulation and storage optimization. I was hoping that I could get some pointers on areas where I could contribute to. I am a bit lost since QEMU is a vast project and I don't really know whether any specific features are being worked on. If I had a goal in mind, that would make it much easier to navigate the codebase as well.

My skillset is as follows: 3 years of work experience in Java and Python, experience in designing and developing backend systems, APIs, deployments and productionizing Machine Learning algorithms. I have knowledge of C/C++ as well, but I am a bit rusty there.

My questions that I hope to get answers to are these:
  1. Is there any specific area within x86 emulation, storage optimzation or KVM that I could contribute to? I am willing to work on chunks of projects too, if there are any that are ongoing.
  2. What background knowledge do I need for contribution? I have a good understanding of how the linux kernel works. I also have a decent familiarity with x86 architecture.

Thank you for reading this far and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Rohit.