qemu-devel

Re: PATCH: Increase System Firmware Max Size

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: PATCH: Increase System Firmware Max Size
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:43:46 +0100

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 01:31:05PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 09/16/20 11:56, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:52:41AM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> >> (5) In my opinion (which could be wrong of course), we shouldn't
> >> introduce a new command line option for this, but a new PC machine type
> >> property called "x-firmware-max-size".
> >
> > Yeah, we definitely do not want a new top level CLI arg, just a
> > machine type property.  We don't need any "x-" prefix on it
> > though, just a plain "firmware-max-size" prop is fine.
>
> According to the previous discussion, I'd like to request that we add
> the x- prefix (showing that either the property is experimental, or that
> it is intended in support of experimental use cases).
>
> If you disagree, I'll accept that though.

I don't see a reason to call the property itself experimental unless
someone is proposing that there's likely to be a better way to enlarge
the max firmware size that will replace it later.

The use case is definitely not something I'd call experimental either.
The user providing their own arbirary firmware is not going to be common,
but when they do I'd consider it a valid supported use case. QEMU is
agnostic about what firmware impl is used, as long as the firmware can
support the expected services/interfaces.

Regards,
Daniel