qemu-devel

Python docstrings and licensing/authorship

From: John Snow
Subject: Python docstrings and licensing/authorship
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 11:47:21 -0400

For some of the Python cleanup work I am doing, I am moving preamble comments into docstrings. These docstrings are visible in interactive editors and may be visible when using Sphinx to generate documentation manuals for Python code.

My instinct is to remove the licensing and authorship information from the preamble and leave the docstring only with information functionally relevant to the module, while leaving licensing and authorship information in a comment (above? below?).

The end effect would be that using e.g. `help(qapi.parser)` in the interactive Python shell would not show licensing or copyright for the module, but it would still be visible in the source file, as always.

Is this in bad taste? Do we have strong feelings about authorship and licensing being visible in help output and generated documentation?

--js