qemu-devel

Re: Python 3.5 EOL; when can require 3.6?

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Python 3.5 EOL; when can require 3.6?
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 16:39:15 +0100

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 05:24:15PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 17/09/2020 16.55, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> >> Sorry, I forgot to check Debian. If I got that right, Debian 9 still
> >> uses Python 3.5 by default. So I guess that means we can not deprecate
> >> Python 3.5 yet?
> >
> > FWIW, Debian 9 EOL was July this year, if you only count the regular
> > lifetime, not the LTS.
>
> Do we support Debian LTS? ... If not, we should maybe add a proper
> remark about that to our support policy...?

I didn't define Debian situation very well in the support policy
because I didn't realize it had separate normal and LTS EOL
dates. I had originally thought it was LTS only.

In libvirt we have since clarified the language I originally
wrote (and then copied to QEMU), to remove the LTS distinction.
Instead libvirt now says:

 "The project aims to support the most recent major version at all
  times. Support for the previous major version will be dropped 2
  years after the new major version is released or when the vendor
  itself drops support, whichever comes first. In this context,
  third-party efforts to extend the lifetime of a distro are not
  considered, even when they are endorsed by the vendor (eg. Debian
  LTS)."

I'd suggest we copy this updated terminolgy into QEMU as it simplifies
the current language used.

Regards,
Daniel