qemu-devel

Re: vhost-user: questions regarding migration

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: vhost-user: questions regarding migration
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 20:07:22 +0100

* Anton Kuchin (antonkuchin@yandex-team.ru) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm implementing migration support in vhost-user backend and have a
> couple of questions:

Hi Anton,
  I'ts a while since I've looked at this code, but from memory:

> 1. How master can be sure that logging was started?
>
> We expect that right after set_fatures command with VHOST_F_LOG_ALL flag
> all memory modifications will be tracked in log, but slave can need a
> little time to process this command so there is a chance that some
> requests can be untracked. Is there a way to ensure all requests are
> logged or determine the moment since when tracking starts and master can
> start migrating memory?

I think it happens after the set_mem_table command; I think if the
command had the 'NEED_REPLY' flag set then the client responds to the
qemu to say the command is done.

> 2. Why do we need separate log_addr for vring and how can it be not
> covered by mem table?

Hmm I don't think I understand that question; isn't the vring covered by
the memtable?

> As far as I understand slave receives used address in set_vring_addr
> command and to map it correctly we do need valid entry in memory table.
> So this field looks redundant to me. Am I missing something?
>
> BTW the word "log_guest_addr" is mentioned only once in the document and
> in "vring address description" payload it is just called "log",
> shouldn't we should change this names to match?

Let's cc in Marc-Andre.

Dave