qemu-devel

qtest with multiple driver instances

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: qtest with multiple driver instances
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 13:57:40 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently puzzled with what looks like a limitation of the qtest
infrastructure: am I right that it's not possible to use multiple instances of
the same driver with qtests?

Purpose: I need to add test cases for the 9p 'local' fs driver. So far we only
have 9p qtests using the 'synth' fs driver. The problem is, both driver
instances would pop up with the same QEMU driver name ("virtio-9p-pci"), and
AFAICS qtests in general reference their driver instance by driver name only,
which must be a) a unique driver name and b) must match the official QEMU
driver name and c) all qtest driver instances are in a global space for all
qtests.

Is there any workaround or something that I didn't see? Like letting qtests
reference a driver instance by PCI address or something?

Right now the only option that I see is a hack: forcing one driver instance to
use a different bus system like e.g. -> "virtio-9p-ccw" vs. "virtio-9p-pci".

Any hint appreciated!

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck