qemu-devel

Re: Proposal for a regular upstream performance testing

From: Lukáš Doktor
Subject: Re: Proposal for a regular upstream performance testing
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 13:06:35 +0100

Dne 01. 12. 20 v 11:22 Stefan Hajnoczi napsal(a):
On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 09:05:49AM +0100, Lukáš Doktor wrote:
Dne 30. 11. 20 v 14:25 Stefan Hajnoczi napsal(a):
On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 09:10:14AM +0100, Lukáš Doktor wrote:
What is the minimal environment needed for bare metal hosts?

Not sure what you mean by that. For provisioning I have a beaker plugin, other
plugins can be added if needed. Even without beaker one can also provide an
installed machine and skip the provisioning step. Runperf would then only apply
the profiles (including fetching the VM images from public sources) and run the
tests on them. Note that for certain profiles might need to reboot the machine
and in such case the tested machine can not be the one running run-perf, other
profiles can use the current machine but it's still not a very good idea as the
additional overhead might spoil the results.

Note that for a very simple issue which do not require a special setup I am
usually just running a custom VM on my laptop and use a Localhost profile on
that VM, which basically results in testing that custom-setup VM's performance.
It's dirty but very fast for the first-level check.

I was thinking about reprovisioning the machine to ensure each run
starts from the same clean state. This requires reprovisioning.

Stefan

Sure, I probably shorten it unnecessary too much. In my setup I am using a
beaker plugin that reprovisions the machine. As for others they can either use
beaker plugin as well or they can just prepare the machine prior to the
execution as described in the previous paragraph.

Regards,
Lukáš