qemu-devel

Re: [DISCUSSION] How to set properties of non-pluggable devices?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] How to set properties of non-pluggable devices?
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 09:37:49 +0100

  Hi,

> Being non-pluggable means I can't use "-device foo,bar=baz" on the command
> line.
> [But I can use "-device foo,help" to list its properties :-)  (if I also
> specify -M bar) ]
>
> How do people do this?

There is -global.  This sets properties for all instances of a given
device.  If there is only one instance of your built-in device you can
use that to set the properties.  A bit hackish, but works and has been
the only way to do it for a long time.

These days we typically add an alias to the machine type, examples are
pflash{0,1} and pcspk-audiodev for the pc machine type which configure
the builtin flash and pc speaker devices.

take care,
  Gerd