qemu-devel

Re: [for-6.0 v5 00/13] Generalize memory encryption models

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [for-6.0 v5 00/13] Generalize memory encryption models
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 13:25:00 +0000

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 01:07:27PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Cornelia Huck (cohuck@redhat.com) wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 09:06:50 +0100
> > Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> > > Can we do "securable-guest" ?
> > > s390x also protects registers and integrity. memory is only one piece
> > > of the puzzle and what we protect might differ from platform to
> > > platform.
> > >

> > I agree. Even technologies that currently only do memory encryption may
> > be enhanced with more protections later.
>
> There's already SEV-ES patches onlist for this on the SEV side.
>
> <sigh on haggling over the name>
>
> Perhaps 'confidential guest' is actually what we need, since the
> marketing folks seem to have started labelling this whole idea
> 'confidential computing'.

I think we shouldn't worry about the specific name too much, as it
won't be visible much outside QEMU and the internals of the immediate
layer above such as libvirt. What matters much more is that we have
documentation that clearly explains what the different levels of
protection are for each different architecture, and/or generation of
architecture. Mgmt apps / end users need understand exactly what
kind of unicorns they are being promised for a given configuration.

Regards,
Daniel