qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 07/17] i386: move hyperv_vendor_id initialization to x86_cpu_r

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: [PULL 07/17] i386: move hyperv_vendor_id initialization to x86_cpu_realizefn()
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 18:47:02 -0500

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 12:34:46AM +0100, Claudio Fontana wrote:
> On 12/17/20 11:53 PM, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:33:57PM +0100, Claudio Fontana wrote:

> >> this seems to fit very well the ongoing work on separating accelerator
> >> specific realize functions;
> >>
> >> related to the previous discussions about the class hierarchies,
> >> do you think that we should have a separate class in target/i386/kvm/ for
> >> a hyperv variant of the kvm-cpu.c?
> >>
> >> Should it be a separate class or a subclass of "kvm-accel-x86_64-cpu" ?
> >
> > I don't see how a separate QOM class for Hyper-V would be helpful
> > here.  What would be the problem you are trying to solve in this
> > case?
>
> there is now a call to accelerator specific code x86_hyperv_cpu_realize just
> before cpu_exec_realize,
> tying the generic target/i386/cpu.c code to kvm/hyperv-specific accel
> initialization.
>
> if this is just a feature of the kvm accel, maybe I should just move all to
> kvm-cpu.c and that's it.

That would make sense.  If we decide this is a KVM-specific
feature, this code can be moved to kvm_cpu_realizefn(), provided
by the kvm-accel-x86_64-cpu class added by your series.

However, I'm not sure we can say this is a KVM-specific feature.
The feature is currently only supported by the KVM accelerator,
but I'd say it is a generic feature.

--
Eduardo