qemu-devel

Re: Problems with irq mapping in qemu v5.2

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: Problems with irq mapping in qemu v5.2
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 14:35:18 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On 12/22/20 2:57 PM, BALATON Zoltan wrote:

[ ... ]

I've already forgot about the details but we have analysed it quite throughly
back when the via ide changes were made. Here are some random pointers to
threads that could have some info:
This was the final solution that was merged as the simplest that worked for all
cases we've tried to fix:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-03/msg03977.html

This set of patches is in v5.2, yet I can still not instantiate an IDE drive,
at least
not with "-drive file=<filename>,if=ide". Is there some other means to
instantiate
an ide drive with the fuloong2e emulation ?

For reference, here is my qemu command line:

qemu-system-mips64el -M fulong2e \
   -kernel vmlinux -no-reboot -m 256 \
   -snapshot -drive file=rootfs.mipsel.ext3,format=raw,if=ide \
   -vga none \
   --append "root=/dev/sda console=ttyS0" \
   -nographic -serial stdio -monitor none

This is what worked the last time we've tried:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-03/msg04086.html

and this was my understanding of the issues with this VIA IDE function of these integrated southbridge/superio chips and Linux's approach to them that may be relevant to debug this:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-03/msg00019.html

We've found that pegasos2 PPC board uses this "half-native" mode where IRQs are using ISA IRQs but not sure what the fuloong2e has. Linux did not seem to care as long as there's no mismatch between config bits and IRQ routing. Although we've also found some comments in Linux may be misleading:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-03/msg02349.html

For the command line I never know which of these work for which machines so I just avoid using -drive if=... If the machine has 4 IDE ports then -hda -hdb -cdrom usually works, otherwise the most verbose form should always work which is:

-drive if=none,id=cd,file=some.iso,format=raw \
-device ide-cd,drive=cd,bus=ide.1

and similar for HD image with ide-hd and bus=ide.0 or wherever you want to connect it.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan