qemu-devel

Re: QAPI sync meeting

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: QAPI sync meeting
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 12:23:58 +0200

On 07/10/21 12:01, Kevin Wolf wrote:

   * -chardev: I have patches that QAPIfy the option based on aliases,
     getting rid of the old handwritten parser that is inconsistent with
     QMP in non-obvious ways and replacing it with translation to QMP
     (both using aliases and a little C code) that makes the differences
     obvious.

     First posted in November 2020, more details in the cover letter:
     https://patchew.org/QEMU/20201112175905.404472-1-kwolf@redhat.com/

     Later versions (not yet posted as a series because I'm waiting for
     aliases) also make -chardev accept JSON syntax, which is what
     libvirt really wants to use.

I'm still not sure about this... It's an awful lot of code if the aliases are only used by -chardev, and I'd rather use -object/object-add for chardevs if that's at all possible.

Paolo