qemu-devel

Re: Invitation: QAPI Sync meeting @ Thu Oct 7, 2021 9am - 10am (EDT) (ad

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: Invitation: QAPI Sync meeting @ Thu Oct 7, 2021 9am - 10am (EDT) (address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 14:36:27 +0200

Thursday crept up on me...  I just noticed we haven't gotten around to
circulate a one-page summary of the topics of interest.  In the hope
that late & crude is better than never, here's mine.  If I misunderstand
you, please be lenient, and correct me on the call.

= Technical =

Marc-André is interested in language bindings, Rust in particular.  He
explored this some.  There are problems.

Kevin and Markus are interested in CLI QAPIfication, and QAPI/QOM
integration.

Daniel is interested in 100% pure QAPI-based QEMU configuration.

For proper CLI QAPIfication, the traditional / "human-friendly"syntax
should become a wrapper around "machine-friendly", just like HMP is /
should be a wrapper around QMP.  He's exploring techniques that let us
avoid writing these wrappers completely by hand.

The external QOM interfaces are not specified in QAPI, and therefore not
covered by QAPI introspection.  QAPI/QOM integration could fix that, and
also generate QOM boilerplate.

The way -device / device_add is implemented defeats type checking.  If
we fix that, users that get the types wrong break.  Libvirt does.

John and Markus are interested in making the QAPI code generator easier
to maintain.  Type hints, in particular

Markus is interested in extending QAPI special feature flags and -compat
beyond "deprecated".

= Process =

How can we make the merging of non-trivial QAPI language work less
painfully slow?