qemu-devel

Re: [gdbstub] redirecting qemu console output to a debugger

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [gdbstub] redirecting qemu console output to a debugger
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 15:51:55 +0100

Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi Sid,
>
> Cc'ing maintainers:
>
> $ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f  chardev/char.c
> "Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@redhat.com> (maintainer:chardev)
> Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> (reviewer:Character device...)
>
> $ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f  gdbstub.c
> "Alex Bennée" <alex.bennee@linaro.org> (maintainer:GDB stub)
> "Philippe Mathieu-Daudé" <philmd@redhat.com> (reviewer:GDB stub)
>
> On 10/21/21 14:37, Sid Manning wrote:
>> Currently when I attach a debugger (lldb) to my qemu session all of the
>> output goes to the shell running qemu not to the debugger.  Fixing this
>> meant that I needed to point the semi-hosting output to the gdb chardev.  I
>> started qemu like this:
>>
>> -s -S -semihosting-config target=auto,chardev=ch0 -chardev gdb,id=ch0

Mixing up semihosting and gdb is not going to end well. We do already
re-direct semihosting output to the debugger when it's attached. To
specify a socket for gdb to connect to you need:

  -chardev socket,path=/tmp/gdb-socket,server=on,wait=off,id=gdb0 -gdb
chardev:gdb0

The -chardev specifies the details of the socket and the -gdb tells gdb
where it should make the gdbserver port visible. The only
semihosting-config variable you may want to tweak is the target.

<snip>

> I'm not sure why "chardev-gdb" is internal, maybe because it uses
> static state as singleton, so can't be TYPE_USER_CREATABLE?
>
>   static GDBState gdbserver_state;

One good reason - we don't support multiple connections.

--
Alex Bennée