qemu-devel

Re: configure --extra-cflags and --extra-ldflags values not propagating

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: configure --extra-cflags and --extra-ldflags values not propagating to meson?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:10:07 +0200

On 22/10/2021 13.20, Owen LaGarde wrote:
Am I using --extra-cflags and --extra-ldflags wrong in the configure call?

I'd like to source build several pre-reqs specific to supporting the qemu source
build.  I'd specifically not like to install neither the qemu or re-req builds
at the system level.  Normally I'd expect the --extra-cflags and --extra-ldflags
configure options to do this but they do not appear to propagate to meson. There was an approved meson patch back in 2018 for extra-cflags / extra-ldflags and qemu is currently using meson >5.8(?) but it doesn't look like configure is adding the
args anywhere in the build tree.  There are a number of ways to do this, what's
appropriate / future-proof wrt building qemu from source?  And why is configure
supporting --extra-[c,ld]args but not doing anything with the values?

I see a similar behavior with netmap now - I've got the corresponding header file in a non-standard directory, and up to commit 837b84b1c078bf3e909 it used to work fine to do:

.../configure --enable-netmap \
    --extra-cflags=-I/path/to/netmap/sys

but since the conversion to meson, this does not seem to work anymore.

Paolo, any ideas?

 Thomas

PS: As a work-around, it seems to be fine to pass the flags via the CFLAGS environment variable instead:

CFLAGS=-I/path/to/netmap/sys .../configure --enable-netmap