qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 7/9] hw/guest-loader: pass random seed to fdt

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [PULL 7/9] hw/guest-loader: pass random seed to fdt
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 14:04:45 +0200

On 7/21/22 22:20, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
Why are we inserting this here? The guest-loader is only building on
what the machine type has already constructed which in the case of -M
virt for riscv and ARM already has code for this.

Wish you would have replied to the list patch before Paolo queued it.

Come on.

You posted a couple patches for this work 1 week before soft freeze (which is when maintainer trees should be ready for merge), so that some platforms get the support and some don't depending on how ready they are for the freeze itself.

Then you post the rest of the implementation on the day of the freeze. This patch has a pretty bad commit message too because any discussion on boot loader chaining belonged there.

Your own timing was completely off, and the right thing to do would have been to post a single series for all machines. This way, even if the patches were to go via individual trees, maintainers could coordinate on which version to include, on how to handle migration, and so on.

Imagine doing the same thing for Linux, you'd be either ignored until the merge window ends, or alternatively shouted at. Ignoring patches sent so close the soft freeze was my first instinct and it would have been the right call, except that in the meanwhile some architecture had their patches merged and here we are.

If anything _I_ have to apologize to Alex for picking up the patch in his stead, and for bending the soft freeze rules in an attempt to avoid having half-assed support where some architectures export the seed and some don't. But you really have no standing to complain to him about not replying timely.

Thanks,

Paolo