qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 14/15] qdev: Base object creation on QDict rather than QemuOpt

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [PULL 14/15] qdev: Base object creation on QDict rather than QemuOpts
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:59:08 +0200

Am 07.07.2022 um 22:24 hat Peter Maydell geschrieben:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 at 05:50, Markus Armbruster <armbru@redhat.com> wrote:
> > My initial (knee-jerk) reaction to breaking array properties: Faster,
> > Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
>
> In an ideal world, what would you replace them with?

The next (and final) patch in this pull request added JSON syntax for
-device, so we can actually have proper list properties now that are
accessed with the normal list visitors. I suppose some integration with
the qdev property system is still missing, but on the QOM level it could
be used.

In the ideal world, we would also be able to replace the human CLI
syntax so that JSON isn't required for this, but doing this in reality
would probably cause new compatibility problems - though libvirt has
been using JSON for a while, so I guess it wouldn't mind an incompatible
change of human syntax.

Kevin