qemu-devel

virtiofsd: Any reason why there's not an "openat2" sandbox mode?

From: Colin Walters
Subject: virtiofsd: Any reason why there's not an "openat2" sandbox mode?
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 17:24:03 -0400

We previously had a chat here
https://lore.kernel.org/all/348d4774-bd5f-4832-bd7e-a21491fdac8d@www.fastmail.com/T/
around virtiofsd and privileges and the case of trying to run virtiofsd inside
an unprivileged (Kubernetes) container.

Right now we're still using 9p, and it has bugs (basically it seems like the 9p
inode flushing callback tries to allocate memory to send an RPC, and this
causes OOM problems)
https://github.com/coreos/coreos-assembler/issues/1812

Coming back to this...as of lately in Linux, there's support for strongly
isolated filesystem access via openat2():
https://lwn.net/Articles/796868/

Is there any reason we couldn't do an -o sandbox=openat2 ?  This operates
without any privileges at all, and should be usable (and secure enough) in our
use case.

I may try a patch if this sounds OK...