qemu-devel

Re: QEMU's FreeBSD 13 CI job is failing

From: Warner Losh
Subject: Re: QEMU's FreeBSD 13 CI job is failing
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 08:32:39 -0600

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 1:13 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 02:21:46PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 2:57 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com>
> wrote:

> > required.

> > anybody know

> > > OK ... Alex, IIRC you have a patch queued to update the files that are
> > > refreshed by lcitool ... does that already contain the update for
> > FreeBSD,
> > > too?
> >
> > Oh actually, I'm forgetting that QEMU doesn't use the 'lcitool manifest'
> > command for auto-generating the gitlab-ci.yml file. In QEMU's case just
> > manually edit .gitlab-ci.d/cirrus.yml to change
> >
> >     CIRRUS_VM_IMAGE_NAME: freebsd-13-0
> >

> FreeBSD's support policy is that we EOL minor dot releases a few months
> after
> the next minor release is final. Part of that process involves moving the
> build
> of packages to that new minor version (which is what's not guaranteed to
> work
> on older versions... only old binaries on new versions is guaranteed)...
> And that's
> the problem that was hit here.

It would be nice if something in the ports tool / packages was
able to report the incompatibility at time of install, rather
than leaving a later runtime failed.

Indeed. I've suggested it to the authors...  There's some technical issues
around this and the package format they need to work out.

> I'll try to submit changes after the next minor release in that 'few month'
> window
> to update this in the future. In general, doing so would be the best fit
> with FreeBSD's
> support model...  It's one of those things I didn't think of at the time,
> but is obvious in
> hindsight.

Note, we're reliant on Cirrus CI actually publishing the new images
for use. I've not previously checked before how quickly they publish
them after FreeBSD does the upstream release, but anyway I go by what
they list here:

  https://cirrus-ci.org/guide/FreeBSD/

 Yea. They have been pretty good in the past about getting new images up
quickly after the release.

Warner