qemu-devel

Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 11:18:18 +0100

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 06:13:45AM -0400, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 10:37:14AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > There's also the perenial problem that developers frequently send
> > patches that mistakenly include submodule changes, which is related to the
> > way that 'git checkout' doesn't sync submodule state when switching
> > branches.
>
> Do you happen to know how exactly that happens?

For any given branch the submodule is synced to a given git commit hash.
If the submodule checkout is not synced to the same commit hash it will
show as dirty, and if you git add this pending change, it'll record that
new submodule commit hash.  Seeing dirty state is common when you switch
between branches, either side of a git master change that updated a
submodule.

With regards,
Daniel