qemu-devel

Re: If your networking is failing after updating to the latest git versi

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: If your networking is failing after updating to the latest git version of QEMU...
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 08:34:13 +0200

On 29/09/2022 04.32, Jason Wang wrote:
On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 1:06 AM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <f4bug@amsat.org> wrote:

On 28/9/22 10:27, Thomas Huth wrote:

... it might have happened due to the removal of the "slirp" submodule
from the git repository. For example if you see an error message like this:

   Parameter 'type' expects a netdev backend type

this likely means that the "user" mode backend type is not available in
your binary anymore. To fix it, simply install "libslirp-devel" (or
libslirp-dev or however it is called) from your OS distribution and
recompile.

Thanks for the hint Thomas. I'm afraid many developers will miss your
email.

Jason, Marc-André, could we improve the buildsys check or display
a more helpful information from the code instead?

It looks to me we need to improve the build.

I'm not sure there is anything to improve in the build system - configure/meson.build are just doing what they should: Pick the default value for "slirp" if the user did not explicitly specify "--enable-slirp".

But the error message is not very helpful. It should rather say something like (partly suggested by Daniel in IRC yesterday already):

Type 'user' is not a supported netdev backend by this QEMU build. Please check the spelling or whether it has been enabled at compilation time.

... or something like this.

Someone interested to write a patch?

 Thomas