qemu-devel

Re: missing entries from docs/specs/pci-ids.txt ?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: missing entries from docs/specs/pci-ids.txt ?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 14:48:38 +0100

On Thu, 29 Sept 2022 at 14:31, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 01:05:36PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > I noticed today that docs/specs/pci-ids.txt doesn't have
> > an entry for the virtio-iommu, which is defined in pci.h as
> >
> > #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_VIRTIO_IOMMU       0x1014
> >
> > There seem to be a few other virtio ID values defined in the
> > header but not in the txt file too -- do we need to update it?
>
> Yep.
>
> > Conversely, none of the "modern" ID values in the txt file seem
> > to have a #define. I suspect I'm missing something about how
> > this works.
>
> Added a short paragraph explaining this.
>
> Not sure what to do with the modern device list.  Add everything ?
> Or just point to include/standard-headers/linux/virtio_ids.h ?

At the moment we have entries for 9 of the 41 'modern' devices.
We should either (a) have entries for all of them or
(b) delete the existing individual 'modern' entries and instead
document the range as being used for modern devices with a
suitable pointer to where to find the list of virtio IDs.
(How far up does the range go? All the way to 01ef?)

If we are strictly following the virtio-ID-to-modern-PCI-ID
rule then it seems like we're just making work for ourselves
if we add a line to this file for every virtio ID, so I
would favour option b.

thanks
-- PMM