qemu-devel

Re: Reducing vdpa migration downtime because of memory pin / maps

From: Si-Wei Liu
Subject: Re: Reducing vdpa migration downtime because of memory pin / maps
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 15:40:54 -0700

On 6/7/23 01:08, Eugenio Perez Martin wrote:
On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 12:43 AM Si-Wei Liu <si-wei.liu@oracle.com> wrote:
Sorry for reviving this old thread, I lost the best timing to follow up
on this while I was on vacation. I have been working on this and found
out some discrepancy, please see below.

On 4/5/23 04:37, Eugenio Perez Martin wrote:
Hi!

As mentioned in the last upstream virtio-networking meeting, one of
the factors that adds more downtime to migration is the handling of
the guest memory (pin, map, etc). At this moment this handling is
bound to the virtio life cycle (DRIVER_OK, RESET). In that sense, the
destination device waits until all the guest memory / state is
migrated to start pinning all the memory.

The proposal is to bind it to the char device life cycle (open vs
close),
Hmmm, really? If it's the life cycle for char device, the next guest /
qemu launch on the same vhost-vdpa device node won't make it work.

Maybe my sentence was not accurate, but I think we're on the same page here.

Two qemu instances opening the same char device at the same time are
not allowed, and vhost_vdpa_release clean all the maps. So the next
qemu that opens the char device should see a clean device anyway.

I mean the pin can't be done at the time of char device open, where the user address space is not known/bound yet. The earliest point possible for pinning would be until the vhost_attach_mm() call from SET_OWNER is done. Actually I think the counterpart vhost_detach_mm() only gets handled in vhost_vdpa_release() at device close time is a resulting artifact and amiss of today's vhost protocol - the opposite RESET_OWNER call is not made mandatory hence only seen implemented in vhost-net device today. One qemu instance could well exec(3) another new qemu instance to live upgrade itself while keeping all emulated devices and guest alive. The current vhost design simply prohibits this from happening.

   so all the guest memory can be pinned for all the guest / qemu
lifecycle.
I think to tie pinning to guest / qemu process life cycle makes more
sense. Essentially this pinning part needs to be decoupled from the
iotlb mapping abstraction layer, and can / should work as a standalone
uAPI. Such that QEMU at the destination may launch and pin all guest's
memory as needed without having to start the device, while awaiting any
incoming migration request. Though problem is, there's no existing vhost
uAPI that could properly serve as the vehicle for that. SET_OWNER /
SET_MEM_TABLE / RESET_OWNER seems a remote fit.. Any objection against
introducing a new but clean vhost uAPI for pinning guest pages, subject
to guest's life cycle?

I think that to pin or not pin memory maps should be a kernel
decision, not to be driven by qemu.

It's kernel decision for sure. I am with this part.

I'm not against it if needed, but
let me know if the current "clean at close" address your concerns.

To better facilitate QEMU exec (live update) case, I propose we add new vhost uAPI pair for explicit pinning request - which would live with user mm's, or more precisely qemu instance's lifecycle.

Another concern is the use_va stuff, originally it tags to the device
level and is made static at the time of device instantiation, which is
fine. But others to come just find a new home at per-group level or
per-vq level struct. Hard to tell whether or not pinning is actually
needed for the latter use_va friends, as they are essentially tied to
the virtio life cycle or feature negotiation. While guest / Qemu starts
way earlier than that. Perhaps just ignore those sub-device level use_va
usages? Presumably !use_va at the device level is sufficient to infer
the need of pinning for device?

I don't follow this. But I have the feeling that the subject of my
original mail is way more accurate if I would have said just "memory
maps".

I think the iotlb layer in vhost-vdpa just provides the abstraction for mapping, not pinning. Although in some case mapping implicitly relies on pinning for DMA purpose, it doesn't have to tie to that in uAPI semantics. We can do explicit on-demand pinning for cases for e.g. warming up device at live migration destination.

I still consider the way to fix it is to actually delegate that to the
kernel vdpa, so it can choose if a particular ASID needs the pin or
not. But let me know if I missed something.

You can disregard this for now. I will discuss that further with you guys while bind_mm and per-group use_va stuffs are landed.

Thanks!
-Siwei

Thanks!

Regards,
-Siwei

This has two main problems:
* At this moment the reset semantics forces the vdpa device to unmap
all the memory. So this change needs a vhost vdpa feature flag.
* This may increase the initialization time. Maybe we can delay it if
qemu is not the destination of a LM. Anyway I think this should be
done as an optimization on top.

Any ideas or comments in this regard?

Thanks!