qemu-devel

Re: [EXT] Re: Concept of LD-ID in QEMU

From: Jonathan Cameron
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: Concept of LD-ID in QEMU
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 12:20:31 +0100

On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 23:38:34 +0000
Shesha Bhushan Sreenivasamurthy <sheshas@marvell.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thinking a bit more, LD in CXL are PCIe endpoint functions. Therefore 1-1
> mapping of cxl-i2c device per PCIe device is sufficient, and we use function
> number in BDF as the LD-ID. Does it makes sense ?

LDs are PCIe endpoint functions (always function 0) as seen from the Virtual
Heirarchies (as they end up under a particular vPBB - which look like a
downstream port of a switch to the host) but they aren't from a more general
topology point of view of actual fabric topology and when we are tunneling we
address them via physical port, not virtual port I think (not read that bit
of the spec for a while). See figure 7-23 in CXL 3.0

Outer tunneling command targets a port number (unwrapped at the switch),
inner one targets the LD - unwrapped at the MLD and sent to appropriate LD
including FM owned LD (if I understand this stack directly).

Also no relationship between BDF and LD-ID so don't do that as the maximum
ID is only 16 which would rather limit your PCI toplogies if that's the BDF as
well.

For now just do what you originally said and add an ID (starting from 0).
We can probably do that automatically once more infrastructure is in place.

Jonathan