qemu-devel

virtiofsd - removed in QEMU 8.0, replacement seems Linux-only

From: John Maline
Subject: virtiofsd - removed in QEMU 8.0, replacement seems Linux-only
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:29:44 -0500

The QEMU Removed Features page indicates that virtiofsd has been removed, replaced with https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/virtiofsd, a rust-based implementation.

Browsing and searching the qemu source, it sure looks like the qemu implementation is gone. tools/virtiofsd is there in 7.2, gone in 8.0.

Searching a bit, it seems the rust implementation is Linux-only. I read this email thread as saying that’s true, with the addiitonal point that the writer had gotten some subset working for another use case.
Alternatives?
- RH seems allergic to 9P filesystem for host file access, the qemu alternative I’m finding.
- Or I’m pointed to NFS which operationally I’m not wanting to do.
- Ubuntu ships a 9P client. Ideally I’d not have to switch to that distribution.

Anyone more clued in know if there’s some expectation / roadmap / hope that we’ll get a more portable virtiofsd on the horizon? Or is there another alternative I’m missing?

John

--
John Maline
jmaline@mac.com