qemu-devel

which CPUs should call aarch64_add_{sve,pauth,sme}_properties() ?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: which CPUs should call aarch64_add_{sve,pauth,sme}_properties() ?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 17:54:25 +0100

At the moment:
 * aarch64_a64fx_initfn() calls aarch64_add_sve_properties()
 * aarch64_max_tcg_initfn() calls all of
   aarch64_add_pauth_properties(), aarch64_add_sve_properties(),
   aarch64_add_sme_properties()

and it happens that (ignoring 'max') we only have a64fx implementing SVE
and no CPUs implementing Pauth or SME yet.

Is the idea that all CPUs (both ones trying to match real hardware
and ones which are QEMU-specific like 'max') should call these
functions to set up the properties if they exist? Or is the idea
that 'max' is special and match-real-hardware CPUs don't need the
user-facing configurability?

If the former, maybe it would be better to put these in
arm_cpu_post_init() so they're automatically called if the CPU
specific initfn set the ID register value that indicates the
presence of pauth/sve/sme.

If the latter, A64FX is an odd-one-out for creating the SVE props.

I ask because Neoverse-V1 has both SVE and Pauth, and I'm not
sure if its init fn should be calling these functions.

thanks
-- PMM