qemu-devel

Re: Is it possible to boot a riscv32 guest on riscv64 host using KVM?

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: Is it possible to boot a riscv32 guest on riscv64 host using KVM?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:31:07 +0200

On 27/6/23 15:24, Anup Patel wrote:
On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 4:57 PM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
<philmd@linaro.org> wrote:

Hi,

I'm working on a tree-wide accelerator refactor and want
to run various configs to be sure I didn't broke anything.

QEMU theoretically supports running a riscv32 guest using
KVM on a riscv64 host, however the documentation I'm finding
only refers to riscv64 guests:
https://github.com/kvm-riscv/howto/wiki

So I wonder, is this a valid / supported config? If so,
do you mind helping me with pointing me to a guest image
and its command line?

Currently, we only support running rv64 guest on rv64 host
and rv32 guest on rv32 host.

Good news, less configs to test!

Thank you,

Phil.

In the future, we might support running rv32 guest on rv64 host
but as of now we don't see a strong push for it.

Regards,
Anup

Thanks,

Phil.