qemu-devel

Re: A confusion about CXL in arm virt machine

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: A confusion about CXL in arm virt machine
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:41:20 +0100

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 at 10:58, Jonathan Cameron via <qemu-arm@nongnu.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 14:10:24 -0400
> Gregory Price <gregory.price@memverge.com> wrote:
> >
> > Last I tested cxl-2023-05-25 branch of Johnathan's fork is working on x86:
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/jic23/qemu/-/tree/cxl-2023-05-25
> >
> > I have not worked with the ARM machine, but Johnathan may be able to
> > comment on the state of ARM support for this code.
>
> ARM support is not yet upstream.  There are some precursor problems we still
> have to solve because arm-virt should also support device tree bindings.
> See talk I gave at Linaro connect that includes some of them:
> https://resources.linaro.org/en/resource/hM986DSHfoTrZ98UjpvLg1
>
> For now, I'm carrying the arm-virt + ACPI support on the tree above.
> There are a lot of things we still need to provide support for in QEMU CXL
> world so for now figuring out the path forward for upstreaming ARM support
> isn't at the top of my list.  I'll get back to it at somepoint - probably
> next month.

Is the Arm CXL support still out-of-tree? I ask because at the
moment docs/system/devices/cxl.rst has some aarch64 virt command
lines which don't work, and we've had a bug report about it:
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/1892

Could you submit a patch to correct the documentation, please
(either fixing the command line, or just deleting any claims
to aarch64 support if it's not upstream) ?

thanks
-- PMM