qemu-devel

Re: Deprecation/removal of nios2 target support

From: Jeff Law
Subject: Re: Deprecation/removal of nios2 target support
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:06:39 -0600

On 4/18/24 9:57 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 10:46 AM Joseph Myers <josmyers@redhat.com <mailto:josmyers@redhat.com>> wrote:

    On Wed, 17 Apr 2024, Sandra Loosemore wrote:

     > Therefore I'd like to mark Nios II as obsolete in GCC 14 now, and
    remove
> support from all toolchain components after the release is made. I'm not sure
     > there is an established process for obsoleting/removing support
    in other
     > components; besides binutils, GDB, and GLIBC, there's QEMU,
    newlib/libgloss,
     > and the Linux kernel.  But, we need to get the ball rolling
    somewhere.

    CC:ing Arnd Bergmann regarding the obsolescence in the Linux kernel.

Just an FYI that the RTEMS Project plans to drop NIOS II support based
on what happens with the tooling.
ACK. Just one more note to the wider audience. I looked at QEMU's user mode support for nios2 on/off over the last couple years. It never seemed to work well enough be able to run the GCC testsuite reliably.

As a result, my tester builds nios2 and will run the testsuite, but all the execution tests are only built, they're not actually run. It's been fairly stable, but its not doing in-depth testing.

jeff