qemu-discuss

[QEMU][ARM] Powering on remaining cores, bug?

From: Sebastian Mueller
Subject: [QEMU][ARM] Powering on remaining cores, bug?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 14:21:29 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I am a computer science student trying to port an operating system to ARMv8. And I found Peter Maydell's helpful Stackoverflow post [1] while trying to turn on the remaining cores in QEMU.

ldr w0, =0xc4000003
ldr x1, =1
ldr x2, =cpu1_only
ldr x3, =0
smc 0

In EL1 everything works fine. But if I also emulate EL2 (-machine virtualization=on) and EL3 (-machine secure=on) the core stays on the state halted and I get -2 (INVALID_PARAMETERS) as return value. Although I did not change the parameters. The author of the question seems to have the same problem.

Do you happen to have an idea what the problem might be? Is this a bug in the PSCI emulation? Or did I miss something? If required I can provide a minimal runnable sample.

Regards Sebastian

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58399436/qemu-aarch64-virt-machine-smp-cpus-starting-in-running-vs-halted-state/58400136#58400136