qemu-discuss

Virtqueue Kick functions in QEMU

From: Arnabjyoti Kalita
Subject: Virtqueue Kick functions in QEMU
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 09:58:08 +0530

Hello all,

I am running the QEMU stable version of 3.0 in KVM mode with the host as well as target architecture being x86_64. I am using a virtio-net device using the command line -
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=tap1,mac=00:00:00:00:00:00

I have been trying to record all the virtqueue kicks that happen when the virtio driver notifies QEMU by doing a register write. I know that, a virtqueue kick, essentially means that there is a VMEXIT. I'd like to know which register does the Virtqueue kick operation write to.

Where in the source code can I find the virtqueue kick operation actually writing to a register? I have specifically tried putting breakpoints at virtio_pci_device_write and virtio_pci_isr_write, but I do not see these functions getting triggered.

Best Regards,
Arnab